Department of Mathematics
Imperial College London
Mitochondrial Biology Unit
University of Cambridge
At Imperial you can find me in the Biomathematics Group on the third floor of the Sir Ernst Chain Building (South Kensigton Campus). In Cambridge I am based in the Bioinformatics Lab at the Mitochondrial Biology Unit.
My research interests are the application of network theory and other mathematical methods on real world data sets, especially protein interactions, as well as, neuroscientific connectivity data. Recently, I also developed an interest in single-cell genomics and mitochondrial DNA analysis. More specific research topics include
- network topology and analysis
- community detection & statistical inference in networks
- multilayer networks for integrative data analysis
- computational neuroscience
- persistent homology
Currently, I am supervised by Nick Jones (Imperial College, Department of Mathematics) and Patrick Chinnery (Cambridge University, Mitochondrial Biology Unit). We are investigating the interplay between ageing and Mitochondrial Genetics.
For my first postdoc, I was supervised by Charlotte Deane (Statistics, University Oxford), Gesine Reinert (Statistics, University Oxford). We worked closely with the Novo Nordisk Research Centre Oxford.
In 2018, I received a DPhil (PhD) in Systems Approaches to Biomedical Sciences from the University of Oxford. During my doctoral studies, I was supervised by Mason Porter (UCLA), Charlotte Deane (Statistics, University Oxford), Jonny Wray (e-Therapeutics), and Philip Maini (Mathematics, University of Oxford).
You can find our research group's blog HERE . In the past, I wrote some blog entries for BLOPIG (the blog of the Oxford Protein Informatics Group).
Occasionally, I am answering questions about Education, Maths and Physics on Quora, see here.
News or updates:
- 2020-11-04: The Virtual Reality experience from our exhibition on Dimension in the Ashmolean is now available on GitHub. Feel free to explore and adapt!
- 2019-09-26: Our submission received a "Surgery Fellow Award" from the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. Congratulations to lead author Niall! [link to AASLD]
- 2019-09-05: Our poster on the integration of single-cell RNA sequencing with protein interaction networks received the "Best Poster Award" at the Cambridge Network Day! [link to poster]
- 2019-08-28: I am very excited to be joining Imperial College and Cambridge University this October as a Research Associate. I will be researching in the groups of Nick Jones and Patrick Chinnery.
- 2019-07-10: Our `Dimension' exhbition in the Ashmolean, which was led by Joshua Bull was Highly Commended in Oxford's `The Vice-Chancellor's Public Engagement with Research Awards 2019'. Congrats Josh! [Link]
- 2019-03-05: The `Dimension` exhibition in the Ashmolean, which I supported with VR design and programming is now open. [Link]
- 2018-10-05: I am very honoured that the Mathematical Institute decided to make me an `Award for Contributions to the Department'.
- 2018-06-26: Very excited, that I will be joining Christ Church as a Stipendiary Lecturer in Mathematics!
- 2018-05-11: I received an `EPSRC Doctoral Prize`. This allows me to stay in Oxford as a Postdoc after my DPhil.